Federal Express or more famously known as FedEx Corporation or just FedEx is the leading information and shipping services provider in over 220 countries worldwide.
In 1965, Frederick W. Smith wrote a term paper about the inadequacy of passenger routes used by most airfreight shippers which causes delay in crucial shipments such as medicines, electronics, and computer parts. After six years, Smith was operating his partly owned new firm, Arkansas Aviation Sales. This made him realize how difficult it was to ship packages by airfreight and have it delivered within two days. He made a research to provide a solution on the slow distribution process, and this is how FedEx started. FedEx is a company known for revolutionary advancements when it comes to information and shipping services.
In the middle of the 1980s, Federal Express had a booming growth rate, at about 40 per cent annually and in 1993 made American business history as the first company to gain $1 billion revenue in 10 years of start-up with no mergers or acquisitions.
In the following years, Federal Express made numerous acquisitions renamed to FedEx Express, FedEx SupplyChain Solutions, FedEx Freight,FedEx Ground, FedEx Office, FedEx Custom Critical, FedEx Trade Networks, and FedEx Services. These companies under the Federal Express brand offers different and specific but related services to provide customers reliable, fast and on time services.
- FedEx Express - carrier of high-priority goods in the marketplace, global freight forwarder of FedEx.
- FedEx Trade Network - provides global freight forwarding services.
- FedEx SupplyChain - provides solutions in transporting crucial supply chain needs such as spare parts and emergency deliveries with orderliness, visibility and event management technologies.
- FedEx Ground - offers dependable and cost-effective shipping services for small packages to business and residential customers in the U.S. and Canada.
- FedEx Freight - service provider for less-than-truckload (LTL) freight.
- FedEx Custom Critical - provides expedited freight services, customized shipments and 24-hour availability for pickups, deliveries, and customer service.
- FedEx Services - provides information technology, sales and marketing support for FedEx Corporation and its other services.
- FedEx Office - provides access to printing services, which consist of copying and digital printing, document creation, professional finishing, signs and graphics, direct mail, computer rental, free Wi-Fi and corporate print solutions. Also, offers shipping services for FedEx Express and FedEx Ground.
- FedEx TechConnect - provides support on customer service for FedEx Express, FedEx Freight, and FedEx Ground. Consist of planning and analysis teams. Provides in-house repair services for the entire FedEx Corporation including desktops, scanners, printers and other devices.
In the year 2000, Federal Express was renamed FedEx Express as an emphasis on its position over the corporation’s portfolio of services.